Over the past year or so we’ve seen Elements XS users take advantage of Esri’s time aware technology within Elements XS to accomplish some pretty neat things related to asset management.
Time aware layers allow us to see where activities are taking place over time - for example, we can see where Service Orders (or inspections, work orders, preventive maintenance activities, and so on) were created during a certain time period. We can then compare time periods and analyze how the map looked during a different time period.
Why is this helpful? A few things we’ve seen:
- If there’s a major event (at a utility, for example) that’s affecting many assets in a certain geographic area, we can compare that event to other similar events that may have occurred in other geographic areas.
- If we can determine that a certain geographic area of our system is having an abnormally hight amount of issues during certain times of the year, we might be able to gain some insight as to what’s going on with that specific geographic region - are these problems weather related? soil related? was there another external event that triggered these issues?
- If we can see patterns over time we may be able to prevent (or predict) major events - for example, if leading up to the last major event (water main break, for example) there was a high number of pressure calls in a specific geographic region, we can look for similar patterns in other geographic regions to mitigate risk.
- We can also use this to analyze operations and crew performance - why does it take so much longer to do work on one side of town than the other side of town?
- We can use this data to make sure we’re providing the standards defined in our Service Level Agreements - when a leak occurred in a certain area of town, how long did it take before service was restored? How did that compare to another leak that happened at a different point in time in a different geographic area?
In summary, there are lots of ways to integrate time aware data with asset management - if you’d like to learn more about how we work with time aware data in Elements XS, or if you’d like to learn more about Elements XS, drop us a line, we’d love to hear from you.